How to Install Windows 10 Apps to an External Drive?
Nowadays, you can buy Windows 10 laptop with 32GB of internal storage with a very low cost. Windows store don’t have precious storage on your system to store large games and other applications. You can install Windows 10 apps to separate drives like USB flash drive, SD card, etc.
How to Make Windows 10 Apps install to an SD Card or Other Drive:
- First of all insert a SD card, USB drive, or any external storage device for installing apps(It will be your default saved location)
- Now from the Start Menu, open Settings
- Click on System and select storage which is available on the left menu. After clicking on Storage, you will see the drive listed like SD card along with your internal drive.
- Choose your SD card or other drive in the “New apps will save to” option beneath Save locations.
- Click on Apply.
If you install any apps from the Windows store then it will saved to your selected drive keeping your internal drive storage space free.
Note: If you disconnect or remove your selected drive from your computer then the apps won’t work. Otherwise to use the apps, again you have to reconnect the drive to your computer.
- Go to Settings then click on System and choose Apps & features
- Choose the app which you want to move and then click on Move
- Click on Move after verifying the drive in which you want to move the app.
What if You Unplug the Drive?
The apps which you install on the SD card or USB flash drive won’t work if you disconnect or remove it from your computer. You can tap on tile to start the apps but nothing will happen. Reconnect the drive to the computer to work it normally again.
How to Undo This Change
If you want to stop using the external storage drive in the future, return to the System and then go to the Storage screen in the Settings app and choose “This PC” for “New apps installed to”.
Then new apps will then install to your internal storage. On the other hand, apps which you have installed to your SD card or other external drive won’t be migrated; as a result you will have to use the uninstall and reinstall tips if you want to move them.